Teaching Tips / Activity Overview:
- Introduce the lesson.
- Hand out "Blood Typing" reading and review questions.
- Allow students to work in small groups or alone to read and review what blood type is, how it is determined, and the ABO blood groups including genotype.
- Students should do the practice blood type problems to ensure their understanding of multiple allele genetics.
- After students complete the background work, hand out "Chi-Squared Analysis: Statistical Analysis of the US and Our Class Blood Types" worksheet.
- Collect class data, then allow students to work alone or in small groups to analyze blood types of the US population, make comparisons, and evaluate the significance using Chi Square analysis.