Teaching Tips / Activity Overview:
- The amount of time for this project must be adjusted based on length of class periods, how much students have been exposed to GridWorld and overall programming experience of students.
- Introduce the students to blood type inheritance with video from Materials section. Go over some examples of punnet squares and have students work in pairs on the Blood Type Worksheet.
- Pass out BloodCritter Project document.
- Review Critters from the GridWorld case study. Have students work in pairs to discuss what additions/changes will need to be made to create the BloodCritter class. Teacher should walk around to facilitate the discussion and guide students when necessary.
- When pairs have an outline of what the new BloodCritter class should contain, they must have it approved by the teacher and then begin to program this class.
Days Three to Five
- Review the details of the project. Go over any questions from the class.
- Students will continue to program the BloodCritter class.
- Students will test their class in a BoundedGrid. Note: Depending on the teacher's expectations, a test driver may be provided for the students or they can create a test driver themselves.