Days to Teach:
1.5 days (48 minute periods)
Teaching Tips / Activity Overview:
- The teacher will explain how real time PCR technology is used to help determine genetic diseases at the Clinic for Special Children in Lancaster County, PA. The powerpoints Real Time PCR and About The Clinic for Special Childre can be used.
- Students will read the light cycler worksheet, discussing and asking questions on light cycler interpretation.
- Students will then work on the light cycler practice worksheet. If students are not finished, they will complete it for homework.
- Students, having their completed the practice homework, will compare their work with a partner and together will work through any interpretation differences they may have. If needed they will ask the teacher for assistance.
- After a few minutes the teacher will go over several examples with the class to make sure they are performing correct interpretations.
Conclusion of class:
- After students have completed all questions the teacher will provide them with a new example to be assessed individually.