Teaching Tips / Activity Overview:
- Activate students' knowledge by asking them to describe how eye color is inherited. Have a short discussion to gather ideas.
- Review the models for eye color inheritance using Eye Color.ppt. If necessary, teach or re-teach about real time PCR.
- Hand out the student worksheet and let students work in small groups to complete it. Students do a short background reading, determine phenotypes using pictures, and then determine molecular genotypes using lightcycler data.
- Gather the group for a discussion about how well their genotype data matched the phenotype data.
- Wrap up by asking students how what they learned in the activity integrates (or doesn't) with previous models of eye color inheritance.
Activity analysis could be loaded onto Google Docs for a collaborative class discussion.