Days to Teach:
About 3 class periods (40 minutes/ period)
Teaching Tips / Activity Overview:
1. Introduce the lesson, including the essential question: How do I write a Microsoft Basic computer program that can be used to determine the possible blood types a child could have based on their parents blood types?
- Consider showing the “What is a Blood Type” PowerPoint or the online animation at brainpop.com (see Resources) at the start of the activity which provides a basic introduction on blood types and genes.
2. Distribute the “Genetic Blood Types” project sheet. Students do self-paced project work.
- Teachers might want to work with students to devise a basic flow chart for the problem before students do the actual coding.
- Teachers might want to simplify the problem by having the blood types of the parents always known and having students provide a computing solution for the child’s unknown blood type.