Days to Teach:
1 period to introduce/brainstorm, 1 period of research (optional), 1-2 periods to present
Teaching Tips / Activity Overview:
- Prezi is a free, online presentation tool that is an alternative to PowerPoint. It may take some practice to get yourself and your students acquainted with the program but I think it is worthwhile. However, PowerPoint could also be used.
- Depending on your level of students, it might be helpful to do a review of different types of inheritance.
- The assignment could be done individually or in groups.
- Instructional sequence:
- Introduce the assignment. Hand out Genetic Disorder Worksheet.
- Assign groups & disorders. See GeneticsDisorders.doc (attached) for a list of disorders.
- Provide class time for brainstorming and research. Direct students to the sites listed below.
- Sudents should create and then give their presentations about the disorder they researched.