Teaching Tips / Activity Overview:
Warm Up & Punnett Squares
- Warm-Up: Pre-Assessment
- Blood Type Punnett Square Practice (10-15 min).
- "Whodunnit: Blood Typing Lab" Prelab. Review antigens, antibodies, and agglutination as it applies to blood typing.
- "Whodunnit: Blood Typing Lab" using Flinn Scientific's Simulated ABO/Rh Blood Typing Kit (45 min).
Light Cyler (RealTime PCR) Explanation & Work
- Give each group a copy of the "Light Cycler Sample Data" and the "ABO Nucleotide Sequence".
- Review how to analyze Light Cycler Data and Nucleotide Seuqence Data with the class. Do a few sample problems together or in small groups.
- Have students complete the "Extension" portion of the lab in their small groups.
- Have students complete the "ABO Blood Type Worksheet."
- Depending on your level of students, it might be helpful to do a review of blood typing prior to beginning the lesson
- Depending on the materials available, the students will need to be in groups.
- Separate the solutions from the activity into additional bottles to create more solutions for the other groups
- Run a test for the students to see what agglutination looks like prior to the lab.