Days to Teach:
Approximately three 90 minute periods.
Teaching Tips / Activity Overview:
- Teacher introduces the Lab which includes
- Discussion of the purpose, goals, and work products of the lab.
- Review of the genetics concepts and definitions involved in DNA coding sequences, mRNA, proteins, transcription, and translation.
- Introduction to the Dictionary Data Structure.
- Student use the Internet to research DNA-RNA complementary bases used in transcription, and codon-amino acid relationships used in translation.
- Students work on lab (programming assignment). Each student is responsible for completing his own assignment. Students may consult, but may not copy.
- Teacher will circulate in the classroom as students work and
- Help students as appropriate.
- Make sure that students stay engaged.
- Ask questions to assess understanding.
- Discuss common difficulties with the class as a whole.
- Make Dictionary a concrete class.
- Reduce the coding requirements by including more pre-written code in the student starter project.