Days to Teach:
This will take 2 days to complete.
Teaching Tips / Activity Overview:
Have gels pre-made for the students.Use a fine sieve gel instead of the standard agarose gel. Better banding will occur. The time may have to be increased, though.
Day 1: Lab on Gel Electrophoresis Analyzing Proteins
- Follow directions in measuring and transferring liquids to different tubes so the proteins can be isolated from the tissue
- Prepare the electrophoresis chamber so it can separate the proteins
- After the separation of proteins the gel will be stained and destained until the next day.
Day 2: Lab on Gel Electrophoresis Analyzing Proteins (continued from Day 1)
- Upon viewing the gel with proteins that are similar and dissimilar to each of the organs, reasoning for this should be justified.
- Development of phylogenetic tree based upon similar and dissimilar proteins.
- Work on the questions in lab