Teaching Tips / Activity Overview:
Day 1: Students will be able to use and code with String methods in Java
- Teacher presentation of String methods.
- Student modeling of String methods on board.
- Students code on computers with String methods.
- Review sheet of String methods hand out.
- Worksheet on string method
Day 2: Students will be able to explain the basic process by which DNA is replicated.
- Teacher presentation and discussion of DNA, and RNA.
- Review sheet of DNA and RNA information hand out (page 1).
- Students verify and transcribe DNA sequence into RNA sequence by hand.
Day 3: Students will be able to use String methods to verify and transcribe DNA sequences.
- Discussion of how we can use the computer to do what we have just done by hand (verify and transcribe DNA sequences).
- Why we would want a computer to do this? (The size and complexity of Chromosomal DNA sequences and their variety)
- Review sheet of DNA and RNA information hand out (page 2).
- Turn students loose on individual computers to try their hand at programming.
Day 4 & 5
- More work individually on computers.
- If students get done early show them real chromosome sequences from the web and show transcriptions thereof.
- Have them choose one or two of these to test with the programs which they wrote.
- Review sheet of DNA and RNA information hand out (page 3).