Days to Teach:
Approximately 9-10 periods.
Teaching Tips / Activity Overview:
The document Missing Laptop Mystery Lesson Plan contains all the student worksheets needed for the unit.
- Lesson 1: DNA Extraction
- Pre-Lab: 15 minutes
- DNA Extraction: 75 minutes
- Homework 1: 25 minutes
- Lesson 2: PCR
- PCR Lab: 45 minutes to prepare amplicon, cycling will be complete by the next day
- Lesson 3: Restriction Enzymes
- Restriction Enzyme Digest Lab: Approx. 30 minutes- samples can cycle and be stored frozen for the next day's lesson
- Homework: 20-25 mins
- Lesson 4: Gel Electrophoresis
- Gel Electrophoresis: If gels are made and poured ahead of time before class- then activity should take approximately 50 minutes.
- If gels will be made by students, alot for 90 minutes. Gel staining can also go on longer and UV illumination can take place the following day.
- Analysis Questions may be assigned as a homework as well.
- Lesson 5 LightCycler Blood Typing: 25-30 minutes
- Lesson 6 LightCycler Eye Color: 15-20 minutes
- Lesson 7 DNA Fingerprinting: 25-30 minutes for virtual lab and Part II; 30-45 minutes to thoroughly answer Part III Reflection Questions